Thursday April 25, 2019
In response to the recent report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change a number of local councils, including parish councils, have signed up to the Climate Emergency Declaration. North Somerset Council and Pill and Easton in Gordano Parish Council are now signed up and your own parish council wishes to establish whether Abbots Leigh PC should also respond to the climate challenges.
There will be a short presentation on the issues at the Parish Meeting on Wednesday 15th May to assist the Parish Council in deciding whether to sign up. The implications of becoming a Climate Emergency council include:
- support for actions to reduce carbon emissions by improvements to buildings energy efficiency;
- improving public transport and reducing the use of private cars;
- encouraging walking and cycling; greater local production of food;
- working with local businesses and services, especially education, youth work and health, to enable them to play an effective part in the battle against climate change;
- supporting approaches to carbon capture such as tree planting;
- encouraging schemes to promote biodiversity (for example by reducing the use of pesticides
in gardens; and
- supporting the development of renewable energy systems in our area.