All residents of Abbots Leigh are deemed to be members of the ALCS and are thus very welcome to attend any of the events organised by ALCS.
We very much hope that everyone who lives in the village see the ALCS as their Community Group.
We help to organise various activities and events, which utilise the local facilities and talents of the villagers. In particular we focus on making use of the Village Hall and the Old School Field (opposite Abbots Leigh Church on Church Road).
Our two main annual community events are The Festival in The Field (FITF) on a Sunday afternoon in early September and Bonfire Night which we always hold on the 5th November.
Both of these events take part in the Old School Field and we are always looking for new people to help out at these events. Even if you can only spare an hour or so we would love to hear from you (see contact information below).
We also run:
Easter Egg Hunt on Easter Sunday outside Abbots Leigh Church.
Summer Drinks Party in mid/late June.
Village Tennis Tournament in July/August.
- Childen's Christmas Party in December.
New Years Day Brunch in the Village Hall.
We advertise our events in The Link and at least in the main village noticeboard in front of the Village Hall. If you would like to receive email reminders, please sign up here. The Society are corporate members of the Forest of Avon Trust.
The bonfire night & firework display usually makes a surplus but we aim to break even over the year. We use any surplus funds for the benefit of the community, principally by assisting the Parish Council with projects relating to the Old School Field and the Village Hall.
The Chairman writes:
After the long winter it’s nice to finally see the sun start to poke its head out and allow us the benefit of its warming rays. We were promised sky-high temperatures for the spring and although, typically, that didn’t include the Easter school holidays, the run into summer is looking promising. It’s time to dust off the BBQ, dig over the flower beds and spend the next six months mowing the lawn.
Of course, the warm weather and long evenings afford everyone a little more relaxation time. There’s no excuse to not sit in the garden watching the wildlife over a glass of wine or a cup of tea, unless of course that lawn is looking a little unkempt.
Another way to spend time outdoors this summer would be to come along to one of the events organised by the Civic Society, there are plenty to choose from.
- Tommo's Tavern will continue throughout the summer, on Fridays 18th May, 15th June, 13th July and 17th August. Please come along and meet up with friends, neighbours and villagers.
- Cricket: The afternoon of Sunday 10th June will see a team of Abbots Leigh villagers vie against representatives of the Abbots Leigh Cricket Club for cricketing bragging rights. Astonishingly the villagers have held the upper hand for the last two seasons. Surely something has to crack?
- Then on Saturday 30th June you can come and enjoy being out in the garden without the hassle by coming along to the Abbots Leigh Civic Society Summer Garden Party. Once again Elizabeth & Malcolm Anderson will be our hosts in their wonderful garden at Leigh Lodge on Church Road. It would be great to see villagers pack the garden of one of Abbots Leigh’s most historic houses.
- August will be a quiet month on the civic society front as people take a well-earned break with their families but be ready for September which will see the Festival in the Field bring the curtain down on the summer on Sunday 9th September.
- Looking further ahead Bonfire Night spectacular Monday 5th November.
So, plenty to look forward to then - hope to see you at one or all of them.
Committee & Contact Information
We have a committee of between 6 and 9 people:
- Paul Thompson (Chair)
- Paul Whitehouse (Secretary)
- Mike Crabtree (Treasurer)
- Elizabeth Anderson
- Pip A'Ness
- John Blain
- Jane Gibbons
- Anoo Jain
- Di Stewart
which meets several times a year to plan events and discuss matters concerning the village. We also have between 20 and 30 people who actively help organise and run our events. We are always looking for new people who will help with events and/or join the committee.
You can download the latest Committee Minutes here.
We hold our Annual General Meeting (AGM) in mid January in the Village Hall. Everyone is very welcome to attend. Wine is provided! This year's AGM Minutes can be downloaded here. This year's presentation included a presentation by Murray Stewart on Housing: The Future.
Any enquiries please contact Paul Thompson (Chair), m 07903 857 616 t 01275 373 115
or Paul Whitehouse (Secretary) m 07813 802 783, t 01275 373137